***Submission deadline for CSL-Science Center Research Acceleration Initiative extended to April 27th***
The CSL-Science Center Research Acceleration Initiative seeks promising new technologies relevant to CSL Behring’s mission of developing and delivering innovative biotherapies and to build new partnerships between CSL and leading research institutions. The process has four stages: a call for pre-proposals, a face-to-face presentation and discussion of high-interest technologies, a partnering and licensing negotiation, and a two-year R&D period. Up to $400,000 over two years is available per technology.
Applicant technologies should have clinical application in immunology, neurology, hematology and thrombosis, transplantation, respiratory illness, or cardiovascular/metabolic diseases. CSL has interest in novel drug targets, therapeutics, and strategies for treating disease. Modalities of interest include antibodies and other protein therapeutics, and cell- and gene therapies. Small molecules are not of interest.
Applicants are reminded that the initial pre-proposal should not be regarded as confidential. Previously undisclosed or unpublished intellectual property should not be shared in this pre-proposal.
1) RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PRE-PROPOSAL
The pre-proposal should be in the form of a 3-page PDF document, with single-spaced, 11-point font and 1 inch margins. Figures and illustrations are encouraged. Each application must address the following topics. Applicants should use their judgement as to how much detail is required for each element. Each section should have a written header.
Header 1: "Technology and Key Supporting Data"
- What is the proposed innovation?
- What would the final envision product be?
- What data have been collected supporting a commercial opportunity? (Provide key figures or tables as needed)
- What is the next step in advancing the technology?
Header 2: "Anticipated Market and Competing Technologies"
- What illness or clinical need does the technology address?
- What is the magnitude (e.g., number of patients affected) of that problem nationally? Globally?
- What is the current standard of care?
- What existing product would the new technology displace?
Header 3: "The Team"
- Who is leading project? What are their qualifications?
- Are there other key project participants the reviewers should be aware of?
- Are there key participants involved who are not employed by the host institution?
- Who is the project lead within the Technology Transfer Office? What is their experience with university-industry partnership?
Header 4: "Proposed Experimental Plan"
- What experiments or business development activities are planned over the two-year program?
- Why is the proposed work essential for commercial, rather than research, development of the idea?
- Provide a quarterly, two-year milestone timeline covering the proposed work
- Are there particular resources or expertise that the project team needs?
Header 5: "Use of Funds"
- Provide a high level projection of the use of funds (e.g., salary, supplies, equipment, clinical costs, third party contracting, or travel).
2) TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER OFFICE LETTER OF ENDORSEMENT
Each submission must be accompanied by a letter of support from an officer of the host institution’s Technology Transfer Office. Specifically acknowledge in the letter:
- A listing of the relevant intellectual property, including any background or enabling intellectual property, including stage of IP applications. When possible include USPTO numbers. Jointly held, optioned, or licensed technology should be acknowledged as such.
- A statement that, in the event the technology is selected for funding, the scientific and technology transfer team will work with the CSL team to finalize the scientific approach;
- A statement that, in the event the technology is selected for funding, the host university will work towards an option or licensing agreement with a target close no later than December 31, 2020.
TIMELINE AND INFORMATION
March 2, 2020 Opening day for pre-proposal submissions
April 27, 2020 Deadline for receipt of pre-proposal submissions
June 25, 2020 Finalist applicants present research proposals at Science Center to CSL
July 30, 2020 Finalist applicants selected for funding
For questions regarding the initiative, please email RAI.US@cslbehring.com.
For all other questions regarding formatting of your application or the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.